Friday 18 February 2011

Major Project Initial Idea

For my Major Project I will be making an educational activity magazine for children which is primarily illustration based. The magazine's main themes are concerned with nature, places, animals and birds etc, whilst incorporating lots of fun activities including wordsearches, mazes, colouring in, making activities and stories, as well as many more. I would love to make more than one issue but due to the time scale I'm not sure if this will be feasible. However, after lots of deliberating I have decided on using the theme of 'animals' for this issue (whether or not I make more), as children love them, and I love drawing them.

I have done a fair bit of research into kids magazines around at the moment, finding that most of them are television or film based, eg. CBeebies, Toy Story, Ben 10 etc. They tend to be printed on glossy paper, and don't seem to include many illustrations, there main delivery method being photography and graphic based work. There is also a lot of emphasis on the free gift! The price range seems to vary between about 2 and 3 pounds.

After looking at the number of pages in magazines, I have decided to start with 32, and if I have time I will increase it to 48. The number of pages needs to be divisible between 8 and 16 for printing. As for paper, I want to use a thick paper, a bit like the paper used in Anorak magazine. It has a lovely feel to it, perfect for colouring as it won't rip easily. Although it will cost more to produce, the overall aesthetic will be a lot nicer.

No comments:

Post a Comment